Re: A proposal for a friendlier Emacs

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: A proposal for a friendlier Emacs
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2020 23:51:10 -0400

  > What is missing in dictionary.el?  It is implemented in Emacs Lisp, I just
  > tried it (apt-get install elpa-dictionary), and it seems to work fine.

How does it work?

  > The default server is dict.org, port 2628,

We should not refer people to someone else's server as the first,
recommended way of looking up words in a dictionary.

The first option should be referring to a dictionary
on your own machine.  It should support the formats that
are widely used.

I don't mind if it also has the ability to talk to servers,
but that should be the last resort, not the first choice!

--
Dr Richard Stallman