Re: Opening Up More Keymaps Re: Standardizing more key bindings?

From: Robert Pluim
Subject: Re: Opening Up More Keymaps Re: Standardizing more key bindings?
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2020 20:12:43 +0200

    Thibaut> Le mer. 30 sept. 2020 à 18:58, T.V Raman <raman@google.com> a
écrit :

    >> Almost as courageous as Lars' request to change line-length limits
    >> (hopefully not quite as controversial)
    >>
    >> Perhaps it's time we opened up some additional keymaps so that we can
    >> experiment with  keybindings without causing too much trouble for
    >> long-term users.

    Thibaut> I don't understand the purpose. Would those new keymaps be for
temporary,
    Thibaut> experimental, bindings, to be later moved to a better position? Or
would
    Thibaut> they be meant to be eventually used by default?

This is an important question that needs an answer.

    >> Proposal:
    >>
    >> 1. C-z as a prefix --- at present c-z   runs suspend-frame under X, and
    >> suspends Emacs on the console.
    >>
    >> Perhaps turn C-z into a new prefix key, and bind the above commands
    >> to C-z z -- that gives us a whole new keymap to play with for the
    >> future.

    Thibaut> I personally like to have C-z free. I use it when I need to pass
keypresses
    Thibaut> to applications without caring about Emacs missing them. For
instance my
    Thibaut> Screen prefix key is C-z. Suspend-frame is bound to C-x C-z (which
makes
    Thibaut> sense to me with the other C-x bindings). So I would immediately
undo such
    Thibaut> a change in my configuration.

As would I, but for a different reason: I put CTRL under my left
thumb, so C-z is a very convenient prefix for stuff I do all the time.

    Thibaut> More importantly, C-z suspending the terminal application is a
common
    Thibaut> binding. One could argue that we have enough trouble with
non-standard
    Thibaut> bindings in Emacs not to add more now.

    Thibaut> Maybe this behaviour could be preserved in non-GUI interfaces and
the
    Thibaut> (hypothetical) C-z key reserved for commands which only make sense
in a
    Thibaut> graphical setting? I cannot think of a single such command at the
moment,
    Thibaut> though.

I strongly dislike differences in keybindings between gui and
non-gui. Just look at all the questions that come up about org-mode
because some of its commonly used keybindings donʼt work in a terminal.

    >> 2. F2 is currently taken up by 2c (2column support) and perhaps it's
    >> time to recover that key, I suspect 2c is not as heavily used to
    >> justify a common key like F2, and it would still have C-x6
    >> dedicated to it if we take F2 away from it.
    >>

    Thibaut> I just tried <f2>-s to see what it is about, now my Emacs is
frozen (100%
    Thibaut> CPU). As far as I'm concerned this key can (and will) die
tomorrow. :)

Iʼve never used two column mode, it would be nice to have F2 bound to
some useful functions. Iʼm not sure what TV had in mind here.

Robert