Re: Question collaborative editing.

From: Qiantan Hong
Subject: Re: Question collaborative editing.
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2020 17:04:09 +0000

>> You don't need buffer-modification hooks, you can use other existing
>> mechanisms.  Emacs knows that buffer text was changed even if the
>> modification hooks were inhibited.
> That’s a workaround, but I’m not sure if it can capture user intent
> (i.e. it gives operation-wise information rather than just a diff between
> versions of buffer). If it can’t then we will need to implement both
> update based on modification-hooks and change state of the buffer,
> which is an additional impl/maintenance burden.
I see the difference as, if implemented as a C library that keep a buffer
and synchronize with emacs, then this synchronization *must* be
absolutely correct, otherwise it mess up any operation on the buffer.
However if the CRDT is kept on the emacs buffer itself, it’s much
more tolerant to untracked text in the buffer.