Re: A proposal for a friendlier Emacs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: A proposal for a friendlier Emacs
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2020 20:38:30 +0300

> From: Alexander Adolf <alexander.adolf@condition-alpha.com>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2020 19:08:14 +0200
>
> My intent was to attach one new concept to any given package in the
> repository. This concept would define the "init configuration topic" of
> the package, so as to allow Custom code to auto-generate an init file
> for that topic, and collect the config for all packages of that topic in
> this init file.

For a single package, assigning some category to it would work.  But
as soon as you want to have several packages in the same category,
this breaks, because one can group packages differently by assigning
them to different categories.

For example, one can assign CC Mode to the category "programming
languages", then it will be in the same category as perl.el, python.el
and fortran.el.  But someone else might decide to assign CC Mode to
the category "indentation", in which case it will be in the same
category with indent.el, text.el, etc.  And if the same person
sometimes regards it as PL and sometimes as "indentation", they will
have the same package in more than one init file.

Do you see the problem I had in mind?