Re: [ELPA] New package: splash-screen

From: Thibaut Verron
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: splash-screen
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2020 11:56:34 +0200

Le dim. 27 sept. 2020 à 11:42, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> a écrit :

> > From: Thibaut Verron <thibaut.verron@gmail.com>
> > Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2020 10:54:28 +0200
> > Cc: Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>,
> >  "Nicolas P. Rougier" <nicolas.rougier@inria.fr>,
> >  emacs-devel <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
> >
> > Le dim. 27 sept. 2020 à 04:46, Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> a écrit :
> > >   > Open any other (non-GNU) program, free or non-free, and nobody will be
> > >   > shouting at you ABOUT THERE BEING NO WARRANTY.
> > >
> > > Displaying text on the screen is not shouting.  I see you have strong
> > > feelings about those words on the screen, but I don't see any real
> > > problem in them.  No real reason to remove them.
> >
> > Displaying text in all capitals is commonly understood as shouting.
> > According to Wikipedia, this association dates at least back to 1856.
>
> Every software license and EULA text I've ever seen, including the
> ones I've read a few days ago, always shows the "DISCLAIMER OF
> WARRANTY" part in all-caps.  So this seems to be common practice, and
> Emacs is not different here from any other software.

Firefox does it with a yellow background. Firefox web services does it
in bold. Libreoffice does it with no highlighting whatsoever. All of
those are clear, non-aggressive, marks of emphasis.

> Whether we should show it or not is a separate question, but let's not
> muddy the waters by creating tangents that don't add anything useful
> to this discussion.

I don't agree that it's a tangent. Emacs shows it "first thing you
see", in all caps. Other software require either clicking one's way to
the EULA, or requesting this info with --version.
And software which display it outside of a terminal tend to follow
standard typographical practices when doing so. (Yes, bold is also
discouraged as a marker of emphasis, but it is very commonly used for
that purpose.)

If the topic is to be brought to the FSF's counsel again, why not
request updated advice on all aspects of the issue?