Re: tooltip feature

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Re: tooltip feature
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2020 11:42:04 +0200

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

>   > A tooltip in Emacs user interface should have the option to be
>   > "caught" or examined, that it does not disappear,
>
> That is a good idea.  Is there a natural interface for commanding
> this?
Considering a tool-tip is just a small pop-up frame you could have it
with a character in a tooltip corner which could act as a "sticky
button" to press with mouse, and there could be a keyboard shortcut user
can press when a tooltip have a focus.

Such a "button" could be also added to context menus to make them
"sticky" and persistent on the screen. Another version is to have a tiny
separator say in tooltip bottom/top that can be pressed with mouse to
"tear of" the tooltip and make it persistent on the screen.

Some software have this feature for menus usually (never saw it for a
tooltip), and if I remember well, it is common in tcl/tk scripts.