Re: [ELPA] New package: splash-screen

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: splash-screen
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2020 04:52:34 -0400

   >    > One would think that being told again and again, by various people
   >    > including a current and former Emacs maintainer, that it is an
   >    > unnecessary nuisance, would be such reason.
   >
   > Those are opinions, but they are not a rational reason.
   > These lines are important; to delete them would require
   > an important reason, and so far no one has shown me any reason,
   > only opinions.

   People have produced evidence that _nobody else_ except GNU shows these
   lines as prominently.

That is quite the exaggeration.  You showed that some programs don't
show it, that is far from "nobody else".  But that also doesn't
matter, since nobody else implements Emacs either so by similar logic
we should stop that

What everyone does or doesn't do is never a good critera to copy
blindly.  Doing things differently is perfectly fine.

   Including major corporations with much higher budgets than FSF, who
   might have a lot more to fear/lose from being maliciously sued for
   "breach of warranty".

Good reason to be extra careful, since the FSF doesn't have as much
legal heft behind them as those with much higher budgets.