Re: [ELPA] New package: splash-screen

From: Nicolas P. Rougier
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: splash-screen
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2020 13:42:44 +0200

Philip K. <philipk@posteo.net> writes:

Why www.gnu.org and not https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/?

I think it's much easier to remember www.gnu.org rather than www.gnu.org/software/emacs/. Once on www.gnu.org, it is easy to find emacs. Also, from a purely aesthetic point of view, www.gnu.org fits better.

the about-emacs page.
Shouldn't that be mentioned? Or at least how to close the splash screen? Wouldn't it make more sense that most keys kill or bury the buffer?

The default behavior is to fall back to the about-emacs page since we can suspect a more experienced user would disable this splash-screen anyway. There's also an idle timer (5 seconds) that open the about-emacs buffer.

Also, what happens when you invoke Emacs in the shell like
      $ emacs myfile.c
how will the splash screen then behave?

In such case, splash screen is not shown (modulor errors in my code).

Nicolas