Re: feature/icomplete-vertical

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: feature/icomplete-vertical
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2020 17:09:46 +0000

trying to calculate the height of the completion candidate list, which amount (as Stefan wrote) to redoing what redisplay does.

I don't agree with Stefan, if this interpretation of what he said is correct. We have window-text-pixel-size to measure the size of text on display without redoing what redisplay does.

Do you mean that every function which wants to display something in the minibuffer should use window-text-pixel-size to create a text that fits in the minibuffer without hiding the prompt?

And that this is better than only expecting such functions to approximate the available space, and to rely on the fact that if the text is too large the display engine will hide the end of the text instead of the prompt?