Re: A proposal for a friendlier Emacs

From: Philip K.
Subject: Re: A proposal for a friendlier Emacs
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2020 17:50:08 +0200

Thibaut Verron <thibaut.verron@gmail.com> writes:

> Le ven. 18 sept. 2020 à 20:26, Alfred M. Szmidt <ams@gnu.org> a écrit :
>>
>>    >    On first start, the wizard would offer the option to create an empty
>>    >    .emacs and never bother you again.
>>    >
>>    > The issue is that it would bother you on first start, at all.
>>
>>    On balance this a good thing, IMO.  And if you disagree, it will only
>>    bother you once.
>>
>> No, it will bother _each_ and _every_ time I start a new Emacs where I
>> have not done so previously.  That is a fairly common situation, both
>> for new users, but also for experienced users who are the majority of
>> Emacs users.
>>
>> Lets not make Emacs annoying to use, OK?
>
> I, for one, would be happy to have a one-click option to set a bunch
> of reasonable defaults whenever I start Emacs on a new device.

I've seen new users keep the splash screen open all the time they are
using Emacs, not bothering to close it (mostly because they open it via
their graphical file manager or something along those
lines). Additionally having a wizard pop up would use even more screen
space, and is probably not what we want.

--
        Philip K.