Re: solarized

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Re: solarized
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2020 08:43:52 +0200

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

>   > While I think these discussions are very valuable, I just wanted to
>   > mention one aspect of the Solarized theme which I think is quite
>   > important. It is one of the few themes with a defined underlying
>   > philosophy/principal. Many other themes are just something someone has
>   > defined, felt it looked good and released it. Solarized has a more
>   > formal definition.
>
> I understand that.  I'm proposing to do something similar except
> eliminating the goal of light-dark inversion symmetry.

Regardless of the colors choice; what I find useful is the logical
separation of color in two sorts: base colors and accent colors. Accents
are ment to be used for things that has to stand out, like a window
number on modeline, or a reserved word in a programming language. Base
colors are those used as bg/fg and other basic things that many packages
in Emacs don't need to touch. For that reason I think Solarized approach
is good for a framework choice.

If 8+8 is enough or not, I don't know. Maybe Batsov's approach is good
about a variation of accents colors, 8 lighter + 8 darker which can be
calculated by elisp automatically, or maybe some other division is better?

For the color choice, it is personal preference; I am sure different
cultures can manage color choices for themselves; i.e; make the
framework provide mechanism not policy.

For the concrete proposal, maybe it is best to start by providing a
framework of logical placeholders as well worded by Dmitry (I think) as
a first step; once there is a framework let then speak about some color
functions and elisp to automate calculation of choice, inversions etc.