Re: master 3beb8bc 3/3: Allow controlling the look of the line/column in

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: master 3beb8bc 3/3: Allow controlling the look of the line/column indicators
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2020 14:41:08 +0200

Juri Linkov <juri@linkov.net> writes:

> I don't care about the default value as long as there is a way
> to revert it back in the init file.  But currently customization
> of mode-line-position-column-format and mode-line-position-line-format
> back to "%c" and "%l" has no effect.

D'oh.  I was thinking it was OK to require the user to set those
variables before loading the file mode-line-position is defined in, but
that file is preloaded in Emacs.  :-/

OK, so this needs a rethink...  mode-line-position precomputes some bits
presumably because it doesn't want to create a lot of garbage from the
`propertize' calls...  Hm...  OK, I think I see how to be make as little
garbage as before, but allow those variables to be taken into account
dynamically.

It'll even make the code shorter, I think.