Re: A proposal for a friendlier Emacs

From: Thibaut Verron
Subject: Re: A proposal for a friendlier Emacs
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2020 14:35:43 +0200

Le jeu. 17 sept. 2020 à 14:25, Alfred M. Szmidt <ams@gnu.org> a écrit :

>    > It shouldn't be super intrusive if there is no .emacs, since it is
>    > quite common to fire up Emacs without a .emacs.
>
>    I think we should find a compromise here. If an experienced user stats
>    emacs without a .emacs present, he/she may disable this somehow (maybe
>    with --no-splash ?)
>
> I think that would be annoying -- if I log in on a new machine that
> I've never used, I'm sure I wont remeber passing any special switches
> to Emacs to start it.

Is it such a big deal? In such a situation you just have to click
"make my own" if you want a -q, or the other option to get most or all
of the most common QoL variables already set, and on subsequent starts
there will be an init.el and you won't have the message anymore.

Iirc it is what Screen does, is it annoying?

> Why not just have it on the splash screen if there is no .emacs; and
> if there is a .emacs remove that blurb.  We could add one or two lines
> along the lines of M-x recover-session:

What's the difference with the original proposal?