Re: A modern-mode?

From: Thibaut Verron
Subject: Re: A modern-mode?
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2020 22:02:20 +0200

> > Such a name would convey the impression that those settings are for
> > beginners
>
> Which they are.

I disagree. We are not talking about cua-mode or undo-only/redo-only
here. We are talking about full Emacs features which users usually
expect but need to discover. Those settings are for everybody, except
those who know that they don't want them.

> > and that experts prefer not to use them.
>
> How do you get this impression?  The name is not
> emacs-beginner-but-not-expert-mode or anything to that effect.

And modern-mode is not modern-and-not-completely-archaic-mode.
But in both cases, by choosing this name, we would state that it is
the best qualificative we could find for all those settings, and to me
it seems to imply that those settings are not for experts (resp.
not-completely-archaic).

I don't think that I'm the only one with this understanding, see for
example the earlier post suggesting the name newbie-mode (synonymous
to beginner-mode for me) with the idea that users would eventually
grow out of this mode, like training wheels. I don't consider any of
the suggested settings to be training wheels.