Re: toggle-light-dark-mode

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: toggle-light-dark-mode
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2020 22:31:20 +0300

>>   "Automatically switch to dark background after sunset
>> and to light background after sunrise.
>
> Personally I don't find this very useful, since most of the time the
> lights in my room are turned on during the night. I only call that
> function when I turn my lights off.
>
> I don't know any applications that have that kind of behavior enabled by
> default, since it's a bit intrusive.

For example, GPS navigation apps switch to night mode automatically on sunset.

> But I think that it would be a great optional feature (i.e. disabled by
> default) for those that are into it.

I agree.

>> But the theme can be toggled from light to dark using the command
>> line switch --reverse-video, -r, -rv, or with the frame parameter
>
> Maybe this could also be an optional alternative behavior that you can
> enable with a boolean variable? toggle-light-dark-theme-use-reverse-video
>
> I like your suggestions and I can see that they appeal to other users,
> but personally I also wouldn't use reverse video (I like using
> kaolin-galaxy as my dark theme and modus-operandi for my light theme).
>
> Or we could also do the inverse: use the behavior of your code by
> default and make mine optional.  :)

Actually my point was that the default Emacs faces support both modes:
dark and light, so you can use the same default theme in different modes,
just by toggling frame-background-mode.  This is implemented by using
'(background dark)' and '(background light)' in defface definitions.

I wonder why other themes don't support both modes?  For example, why there
is separate light tango-theme and tango-dark-theme, but not one tango-theme
supporting dark and light modes?  And why separate light modus-operandi-theme
and dark modus-vivendi-theme, but not one modus-theme with both modes?