Re: Interactive guide for new users

From: E
Subject: Re: Interactive guide for new users
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2020 23:33:33 +0000

On 9/15/20 8:10 AM, Stephen Leake wrote:

>> For example, if I want to insert a file name with completion, I can do C-x
>> C-f (counsel-find-file), use ivy-completion to get the name, then M-o pops
>> a list of actions and tells me to press i to insert the file I selected.
>> For such an action which I do quite rarely, I find it easier than remember
>> how to invoke insert-file-name (including the name of the actual
>> function).
>
> That functionality is apparently provided by counsel, not by ivy.
>
> Presumably counsel also works with icomplete; is that combination
> missing anything?
>
> --
> -- Stephe

Counsel is a package with many commands that use Ivy's functions specifically.
wouldn't assume that is would work with Icomplete.

You can see the file here:
https://github.com/abo-abo/swiper/blob/master/counsel.el

The alternative actions are created by providing arguments to
`ivy-set-actions',
and Counsel commands needing completion use `ivy-read'.