Re: A modern-mode?

From: Andrea Corallo
Subject: Re: A modern-mode?
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2020 18:47:41 +0000

Gregory Heytings <ghe@sdf.org> writes:

> I'm biased, but I do not think this is better than the guided tour /
> interactive guide proposal that Yuan Fu and me sent a few days ago.
>
> The problem of "modern-mode" is that, as the traffic on this list
> during the last days has shown, different people have different ideas
> of what "modern" is, and might want to turn each feature on or off.
> Some might want a dark theme and others not, some might want tabs and
> others not, and so forth.  So it is better to give something more
> refined than a binary modern/non-modern choice.
>
> Moreover the guided tour proposal introduces the most important
> concepts of Emacs, and explains how to find help, which I believe is
> very important if the point is the help people getting (and staying!)
> into the Emacs universe.

Hi Gregory,

I agree with Drew that these are two different (IMO interesting)
features.

If (as suggested) the modern-mode becomes a modern-theme this is
effectively like a new set of defaults that can be easily toggled, and
if the user wants later on refined and re-configured.

I hope to see both features coming to fruition as they are not
exclusive.

  Andrea