RE: A modern-mode?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: A modern-mode?
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2020 17:32:38 +0000 (UTC)

> >> I'm biased, but I do not think this is better than the guided tour /
> >> interactive guide proposal that Yuan Fu and me sent a few days ago.
> >
> >> Moreover the guided tour proposal introduces the most important
> >> concepts of Emacs, and explains how to find help, which I believe is
> >> very important if the point is the help people getting (and staying!)
> >> into the Emacs universe.
> >
> > A tour is different from a button to get a set of features.
>
> Did you have a look at the proposal?  I realize that there has been so
> much traffic here that you may have missed it.  It combines the two
> aspects: buttons to set a number of features that newcomers might want to
> turn on, and explanations to guide their first steps.  Your feedback would
> be most welcome.

A tour with ability to choose stuff on the fly is
still different from a mode for a set of settings
and an interface to "customize" or add to those
settings.  IMO.

The latter lets you turn the mode on/off anytime.
And it lets you "customize" it anytime.  Those
things are not mixed in with following a tour.

Letting a tour give you one way to "customize"
such a mode would be fine.  But you shouldn't
need to go through a tour to do that.

IOW, they're related, but not the same, I think.