Re: "modern" colors Re: Changes for emacs 28

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: "modern" colors Re: Changes for emacs 28
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2020 16:20:19 -0400

> I don’t understand.  There is a clear problem here in that the
> font-lock-comment-face is dark red and the region colour is whatever the
> GTK theme says it should be.  So unless font-lock-comment-face is also
> set according to the GTK theme’s colours there is no way to avoid this
> unfortunate combination of colours (dark red on dark background) without
> customization.

Does Gtk offer some setting for the color of "comments"?
What do other applications do?

> FWIW neither the dark red colour nor the region background colour
> changes when I change frame-background-mode.

Maybe there's a bug here.  The color of `font-lock-comment-face`
*should* change.  If you can reproduce this, please provide a recipe to
`report-emacs-bug`.  The code says:

    (defface font-lock-comment-face
      '((((class grayscale) (background light))
         :foreground "DimGray" :weight bold :slant italic)
        (((class grayscale) (background dark))
         :foreground "LightGray" :weight bold :slant italic)
        (((class color) (min-colors 88) (background light))
         :foreground "Firebrick")
        (((class color) (min-colors 88) (background dark))
         :foreground "chocolate1")
        (((class color) (min-colors 16) (background light))
         :foreground "red")
        (((class color) (min-colors 16) (background dark))
         :foreground "red1")
        (((class color) (min-colors 8) (background light))
         :foreground "red")
        (((class color) (min-colors 8) (background dark))
         :foreground "yellow")
        (t :weight bold :slant italic))
      "Font Lock mode face used to highlight comments."
      :group 'font-lock-faces)

So when in "dark background" mode, `font-lock-comment-face` should be
using `chocolate1` rather than `Firebrick`.

        Stefan