Re: Context menus and mouse-3 [was: Changes for emacs 28]

From: Göktuğ Kayaalp
Subject: Re: Context menus and mouse-3 [was: Changes for emacs 28]
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2020 19:42:39 +0300

On 2020-09-14 18:10 +03, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
> AFAIK, what Emacs does with mouse-3 is similar to what other X-aware
> applications do.  If we change that by default, it might cause
> annoyance to those who use these X-related features.

[ I should’ve replied to your reply to my relevant email on another
  thread so that the flow of the treads aren’t broken, but I’ll be a bit
  lazy with this one.  Hope I don’t annoy anybody... ]

I never noticed that behaviour.  But while that’s a nice feature I doubt
it’s what people expect when they hear ‘context menu’.  It’s more like
the thing I gave a broken example of on the other thread.  I’d say it’s
less powerful than this C-mouse-3 context menu, but if we’re trying to
provide people with something they’d _expect_ to see when right
clicking, that’s not it.

FWIW my example was a combination of VS Code menu and Linux Mint’s
generic text editor Xed’s menu, plus a couple emacsy additions.

@Drew: Just checked out mouse3.el, read the comments.  Seems to be a
powerful extension, but IDK how fit it is for this particular task of
making some cosmetic adjustments to make some basic features have more
contemporary frontends (tho it’s quite probable that I’m missing
something here, because I barely if ever use any of the mouse, toolbar
or the menu bar).

--
İ. Göktuğ Kayaalp / @cadadr / <https://www.gkayaalp.com/>
pgp:   024C 30DD 597D 142B 49AC 40EB 465C D949 B101 2427