RE: "modern" colors Re: Changes for emacs 28

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: "modern" colors Re: Changes for emacs 28
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2020 15:48:18 +0000 (UTC)

> > Do you mean, this menu is the same regardless of modes, buttons, etc?
> > The C-Mouse-3 menus offer commands useful for the text you are using.
> > Why not include that too?
>
> I’d expect that this ‘right click menu’ to have a large skeleton that’s
> the same everywhere, but possibly with some salient context relevant
> items.

mouse3.el allows that.  The skeleton can be large,
small, or nonexistent.  It can be the same everywhere
or the same for contexts X,Y,Z and differently the
same for contexts A,B,C.  And context-relevant items
or submenus can be added, beyond any "skeleton(s)".

> The current binding of C-mouse-3 is basically the global menu and it’s
> way to crowded to be useful as a quick access right click menu.  Ideally
> the majority of actions in such a menu would be accessible without
> opening submenus.  Otherwise I don’t think providing the global menu at
> three different places is of any use.

It's not either-or.  Different things can be useful
for different contexts - different modes, users,
phase of the moon, whatever.  A context menu can be
useful whether it has submenus or not.  No one need
bother with, or be bothered by, submenus if the
top-level items s?he uses most (or exclusively) are
readily available.

Just because one thing is often useful (e.g. quick
access to simple edit actions), it doesn't follow
that other, different kinds of things can't also
be useful.

> An interesting way to set things up could be to somehow have a hook
> which major modes could use to add a submenu to this right click context
> menu, in whatever fashion they see fit.

mouse3.el does that.  It's easy for a mode to add
its own context menu or replace a default one.

https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/Mouse3#ModeSpecificPopupMenu

> IMHO if we fix the menu I wrote and add the functionality I just
> mentioned, we’d have something to play with and modify up until we
> eventually arrive at the 28 release cycle, and at that point we’d have
> developed an implementation that pleases everyone.

You have mouse3.el to play with.  It doesn't
hard-code stuff.