Re: Context menus and mouse-3 [was: Changes for emacs 28]

From: tomas
Subject: Re: Context menus and mouse-3 [was: Changes for emacs 28]
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2020 13:37:00 +0200

On Mon, Sep 14, 2020 at 11:03:19AM +0200, Thibaut Verron wrote:
> Le lun. 14 sept. 2020 à 10:29, <tomas@tuxteam.de> a écrit :

[...]

> > [click-and-drag]

[...]

> I might have had bad luck or small palms, but I could never get complex tap
> combos to work reliably with palm detection.

All was an one-finger operation. No palms involved (I know my limitations
when challenging the Gods ;-)

[...]

> Agreed. Again, I believe that it supports the idea of supporting both
> usages.

Yes. Not always easy, but...

> > When asserting things about UI "this-and-this is better", take
> > into account that you are biased by your prior experience. Give
> > other people a way to opt out of your utopia, which might well
> > be their distopia :-)
> >

> Is that meant for me personally? Sorry if I came across as assertive, it
> was really the opposite of my intention.

Oh, sorry. No, this was a "generic you". And...

> I try to make it clear when my statements represent only my opinion and my
> experience. Sorry if I failed to convey that meaning at times, I will try
> harder.

...by the way, not criticising your tone or something. You come across
as an extremely polite person.

Rather trying to raise awareness that many of the patterns we take for
granted are just the result of some training, which might be totally
different for someone else.

Of course, one might argue that we all should be trained the same way
(it happens with other things too, like language (verbal and non-verbal),
so why not with computers?). Opinions on that might differ. For me this
is dystopia, especially in the current context, where roughly ten big
corps dominate that space.

Cheers
 - t