Re: Interactive guide for new users

From: Robert Pluim
Subject: Re: Interactive guide for new users
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2020 12:52:13 +0200

    >>> SCREEN 8: Thank you. Your choices have been saved in Emacs'
configuration
    >>> file ~/.emacs.d/init.el (or ~/.emacs ?).
    >> What do we do here wrt XDG preferences?

    Göktuğ> Might be a good idea to default to XDG dirs if that’s what Emacs
    Göktuğ> community wants to encourage.  But because a lot of text out there
will
    Göktuğ> say ~/.emacs or ~/.emacs.d/init.el, the file name should be made
very
    Göktuğ> clear.

We could default 'user-init-file' to "$XDG_CONFIG_HOME/emacs/init.el"
for people who have no existing .emacs or .emacs.d, I guess (currently
we default to ~/.emacs), although Iʼd be happier if we used
"~/.emacs.d/init.el", as that leaves the choice of whether to use XDG
later up to the user (and Emacs will create ~/.emacs.d anyway).

Iʼm in no way suggesting that we stop reading ~/.emacs, though.

Robert