Re: "modern" colors Re: Changes for emacs 28

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: "modern" colors Re: Changes for emacs 28
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2020 18:16:22 -0400

>>> I suppose that’s exactly what gtk_selection_bg_color and
>>> gtk_selection_fg_color are supposed to do: take the colours from the GTK
>>> theme.
>>> On Guix we build Emacs with the GTK toolkit.
>> So the bug is that we obey the "external" settings for the region but
>> apparently not for the `default` face.
> There’s also a colour clash with the font-lock-comment-face and the
> region when gtk_selection_bg_color happens to be dark (dark red on
> black).

Most faces have two settings depending on whether the default background
id dark or light, so as long as we don't get the right default
background color, your region face (which assumes a dark background)
will likely clash with many other faces (which assume a light background).

> Perhaps it’s a mistake to obey external colour settings at all, when we
> can only do it partially anyway.

It's definitely a mistake to do it for a non-default face like
`region` when we don't do it for `default`, indeed.

Our faces are normally setup to work reasonably well with "any" sane
default foreground/background (by choosing between the dark and the
light "theme" based on the color of the default background), so I don't
think it would be a mistake to obey external color settings for the
default face.

        Stefan