Re: Changes for emacs 28

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Changes for emacs 28
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2020 22:17:19 +0300

>> +    (tool-bar-add-item "newsticker/narrow"
>
> This doesn't exactly look like a Hamburger menu icon...

Really?  Maybe someone could help to draw a real hamburger.

> Also, we'd like to have this at the right edge of the tool bar, where
> users will expect it, I think.

IDK, some programs display it on the left, some on the right.

Anyway, there is a bug in tool-bar code that doesn't allow to use
align-to, whereas align-to works perfectly when used on the tab-bar.

Here is the test case to reproduce the bug on the tool-bar:

emacs -Q and eval:

  (define-key-after (default-value 'tool-bar-map) [global-menu-bar]
    `(menu-item (propertize " " 'display '(space :align-to (- right 5)))
                (lambda ()
                  (interactive)
                  (popup-menu (mouse-menu-bar-map)))
                :image ,(tool-bar--image-expression "newsticker/narrow")
                :help "Pop up the global menu bar"))
  (force-mode-line-update)

It doesn't align the icon to the right edge of the tool-bar
whereas the same code aligns it on the tab-bar.