Re: Changing line widths in the Emacs source code

From: Daniel Martín
Subject: Re: Changing line widths in the Emacs source code
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2020 16:53:22 +0200

> So my suggestion is: Change the default to 100.
>
> (This, of course, doesn't mean that we change any of the existing code,
> but we stop formatting all new code to fit within 80 columns, and
> instead aim for 100 instead.)

I don't agree with this suggestion, at least as it is written. If the
existing code won't change, then we will have parts of the codebase with
a different style than others. The goal of having a code style is not
much about the individual decisions, but about consistency.

Also, what would happen if you change code in an existing file? Would
you need to fit it in 80 columns, 100 columns? Our .clang-format file
would format the code using 100 columns, so it'll probably do the wrong
thing by default.

It all seems unnecessary complexity to me.