Re: Date in emacs man-file

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: Date in emacs man-file
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2020 05:12:32 -0700

Colin Baxter <m43cap@yandex.com> writes:

> I notice the second line of the file man/emacs.1.in has "2007 April
> 13". Therefore "man emacs <RET>" will give this date at the foot of the
> manual, along side the emacs version (27.1 in the case of the latest
> release). Should not this date be amended to something more recent?

"man 7 man-pages" says:

       date   The date of the last nontrivial change that was made to the  man
              page.   (Within  the man-pages project, the necessary updates to
              these timestamps are handled automatically by scripts, so  there
              is  no  need to manually update them as part of a patch.)  Dates
              should be written in the form YYYY-MM-DD.

Perhaps we could add a local timestamp variable to update it
automatically?  It would catch even insignificant changes, but it would
be up to the committer to update the timestamp or not.