Re: "modern" colors Re: Changes for emacs 28

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: "modern" colors Re: Changes for emacs 28
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2020 14:19:50 +0300

On 13.09.2020 04:26, arthur miller wrote:

It was in the middle of the afternoon when light is at brightest at my place :-).

I don't think it is a misconception. I understand your reasoning but I don't think it really applies. Yeah, sure, there is some adaptation and o on between dark and light, but try to stare at Sun on a shiny day, or to stare  longer time at a light bulb. I don't think your eyes will appreciate, mine certainly won't.

A sun is much brighter than its background. Same for the light bulb.

So as first step I would really recommend calibrating the screen's brightness so that the usual background of many programs and websites (shades of near-white) doesn't look like a sun compared to the room's lighting. Just look at the wall behind the screen and compare accordingly. A 30%-50% brightness can work well. Or even lower.

I also think there is a lot of subjectivity here. Muscles and sensitivity is different from person to person. By the way I didn't claim it was a scientific experiment,  just my perception atm.

There are, of course, personal factors as well.

BTW, did you change the email client recently? It seems to use a different quoting style, and it breaks discussion threads (creates a new one with easy reply).