Re: "modern" colors Re: Changes for emacs 28

From: Göktuğ Kayaalp
Subject: Re: "modern" colors Re: Changes for emacs 28
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2020 11:00:37 +0300

On 2020-09-12 21:24 +03, TEC <tecosaur@gmail.com> wrote:
> #+RESULTS:
> | row.names                | mean | popularity weighted | age weighted |
> |--------------------------+------+---------------------+--------------|
> | DarkDefault              |  0.7 |                0.83 |          0.7 |
> | Bluey                    |  0.7 |                0.67 |         0.85 |
> | Line.Numbers             |  0.9 |                0.89 |            1 |
> | StatusBarMatchBackground |  0.8 |                0.62 |          0.8 |

Interesting indeed but comes with two major caveats:

- To what extent should we take popularity as an indication that a
  feature should be included in Emacs?

  Might as well be the case that the unique features of Emacs is what
  makes it stand out (mind that we’re directly communicating with a very
  little, opinionated sample of users here, inevitably).  We wouldn’t
  want to go the Firefox route.

- The sample size is pretty small for making any conclusions.

  And that may be inevitable given how little the population (editors
  people actually use) already is.

On a subjective note I think we’re exaggerating the role of Emacs’ looks
with regards to how it affects newcomers.  And it’s solved as easily as
M-x load-theme RET modus-vivendi RET post Emacs 28 (or some
point-release of 27 maybe?), or today with a simple package install.

What I wonder is how a change of default colours would affect other
themes, because AFAIU as it is we don’t have a clean situation where
each theme is independent of each other, but all of them depend on
default.  In which case fiddling with it means most smaller themes break
in one way or another.  Am I mistaken?

--
İ. Göktuğ Kayaalp / @cadadr / <https://www.gkayaalp.com/>
pgp:   024C 30DD 597D 142B 49AC 40EB 465C D949 B101 2427