RE: Changes for emacs 28

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Changes for emacs 28
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2020 16:28:56 +0000 (UTC)

> There is  a commercial package called Maya. They have a pop-up
> window/menu widget they call "hot box". In that pop-up they have all, or
> as few as chosen by the user, menus collected in a transparent window
> they pop-up under the mouse after the spacebar is hold for a while (I
> think it was half a second).

`mouse3.el' does this.  But it's initiated by
a right-click, not by holding the space bar.

It could be made to also or instead be initiated
by a keyboard key.  But why?  If the location of
the popup is at the mouse pointer, why make users
involve _both_ the mouse and the keyboard?

> Maybe such or similar widget could be good to have in Emacs? As a
> compromise between a minimal GUI, discoverability and avialability of
> menus even when gui elements are disabled? A context menu would still be
> faster though.

See `mouse3.el'.  I think it provides what I
think you've described.

https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/Mouse3

https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/download/mouse3.el