Re: Interactive guide for new users

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Interactive guide for new users
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2020 17:07:49 +0300

> Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2020 13:56:11 +0000
> From: Gregory Heytings <ghe@sdf.org>
> cc: casouri@gmail.com, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> Let's suppose I'm a newbie: first you have two buttons to read a file
> (which one should I use? let's try C-o!), then an button to launch dired
> (likely not something a newbie would want to do), then a button which says
> "Discard (kill) current buffer" (what the heck does that mean?), then
> "Save" (okay, that should be C-s, so I don't need that button), "Undo"
> (should be C-z... hey, but where is "Redo"?), "Cut" (should be C-x),
> "Copy" (should be C-c), "Paste" (should be C-v), "Search" (should be C-f).
> Oh, is that all?  What's the purpose of that toolbar?  (If you look at
> other apps they do have these things in a toolbar, but it's because the
> toolbar has much more buttons.)

The second button from the left has an icon that is very similar to
what many other applications use for "Open a File", and the tool-tip
for it confirms that (if someone needs a confirmation).  I don't see
why users will even try anything else.

So I think your exaggeration here is misplaced.

Or maybe you are looking at a tool bar that has text instead of
descriptive icons?  In which case that's the problem to solve.

> > We don't need to be bug-for-bug compatible with Spacemacs and DOOM.
> > Where we think they make a mistake, we should do better.
>
> The discussion here is not whether something is a mistake or not, but what
> new users coming from another editor would likely want to see to have a
> positive feeling when they open Emacs.  As long as it does not remove an
> essential feature, that's fine IMO.

If we agree to what you say in the last sentence, fine with me.  I
guess we will next need to discuss what is "essential" and what isn't.