Re: A new user perspective about "Changes for emacs 28"

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Re: A new user perspective about "Changes for emacs 28"
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2020 15:02:09 +0200

Ergus <spacibba@aol.com> writes:

> On Fri, Sep 11, 2020 at 07:53:38AM -0700, Jack Kamm wrote:
>>Ergus <spacibba@aol.com> writes:
>>
>>> One thing at the time. Having an alternative to traditional undo that
>>> could be enabled with one of the profiles we were discussing before or
>>> throw an option in the menubar is (in my opinion) a good first step.
>>
>>I don't think this needs a profile -- just default keybindings for
>>undo-only and undo-redo. In my usage, they don't replace the standard
>>undo, rather they complement it.
>>
> We don't have too many short bindings available for this.
>
> Also having two "undo" I think is gonna be even more confusing for the
> users.
With different key-bindings/menu entries and good documentation, it does
not need to be confusing. I would emphasize in documentation
non-destructive editing history and explain better how Emacs lets one go
back and effort between edits; how the editing history branches in a
tree-like structure and how it compares to "linear" edit history as
(usually) recorded in other applications as a simple stack. Here I would
tack on "undo-tree like" interactive graphical visualisation of
undo/redo history.