Re: search-invisible and friends

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: search-invisible and friends
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2020 13:48:16 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> You are talking about adding features we currently don't have, like
> alternate-text for images in HTML.

Yuri's suggestion is a generalisation of your idea of adding something
like a `no-search' text property...

> But I was worried about supporting the existing features that simply
> hide text, and the desire to allow the user to say whether he/she
> wants or doesn't want to find search matches within such hidden text.
> AFAIU, that cannot be provide by Yuri's proposal, because that
> proposal requires the code which ides text to be amended.
>
> I hope we can come up with a solution that allows both use cases.

After you suggested adding a `no-search' text property, my original use
case (modes being able to say whether an image `display' property should
"hide" the text beneath from isearch) became less enticing to me.  These
modes can just slap a `no-search' text property on the images instead,
so it seems unnecessary.

And then Yuri's suggestion generalises upon this, making my original use
case even less vital.