Re: Interactive guide for new users (was: Re: Gather a list of confusion

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Interactive guide for new users (was: Re: Gather a list of confusions beginner tend to have)
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2020 18:28:57 +0300

> Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2020 15:20:18 +0000
> From: Gregory Heytings <ghe@sdf.org>
> cc: casouri@gmail.com, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> > But the tutorial is not just about keybindings.  It explains a lot of
> > other turf, mainly the important concepts: buffer, window, mode line,
> > etc.
> >

> A new user does not need to understand those subtleties.

I wouldn't call these basics "subtleties".  They are the most
fundamental terminology in Emacs.

> He already has an intuitive notion of what a buffer and a window
> are, which suffices to start using Emacs.

He does?  Where from?  Windows mean something else in the other apps,
and buffers are not available in most of them.

> BTW, there is another option that I would add in screen 3: tab-line-mode.

Is the tab-line really such an important feature?  If so, why isn't it
turned on by default?