Re: Changes for emacs 28

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Changes for emacs 28
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2020 16:13:41 +0300

> Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2020 16:04:48 +0300
> From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
> Cc: rekado@elephly.net, ghe@sdf.org, dgutov@yandex.ru, drew.adams@oracle.com,
>  emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> > Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2020 14:57:44 +0200
> > From: Ergus <spacibba@aol.com>
> > Cc: rekado@elephly.net, ghe@sdf.org, emacs-devel@gnu.org,
> >     drew.adams@oracle.com, dgutov@yandex.ru
> >
> > The mode will substitute undo with undo-only. This small contradiction
> > will start a war here.
>
> As long as we keep this on the menu and the tool bar, there will be no
> reason for a "war".

> > >If the user uses the menus or the tool bar, the confusion will be
> > >spared, right?
> > >
> > If the user expects undo-only behavior; then having our undo will be
> > confusing because not expecting undo becoming a redo at some point.
>
> How can it be confusing that 2 different commands produce different
> results?  Why isn't it confusing today, when we already have these 2
> commands?
>
> > IMO we should have one (undo) or the other (undo-only + undo-edor) but
> > not mix them by default.
>
> Whether to mix them or not is up to the user.

To clarify: I'm not opposed to your proposal of having a special mode,
I just think it's an unnecessary complication, and actually flies in
the face of our desire to make Emacs easier for newbies: a mode that
is not turned on by default needs to be discovered and turned on,
before its benefits can be apparent.  Having these commands available
by default doesn't have this disadvantage.