Re: Changes for emacs 28

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Changes for emacs 28
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2020 15:32:19 +0300

On 11.09.2020 14:19, Ergus wrote:
On Fri, Sep 11, 2020 at 02:09:17PM +0300, Dmitry Gutov wrote:
On 11.09.2020 13:41, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
If people prefer that, we could change the binding, I won't object.

But then we'll have no binding for `undo-redo`, just a menu item?

Or would you be fine with adding a binding for it too?

Do you think we should go with the mode approach?

Either that, or switch to undo-only and undo-redo bindings in the default set.

But I don't think we'll reach an agreement for the latter anytime soon. So the gradual approach seems more in line with the usual Emacs evolution.

Said mode could be an easy switch to the alternative undo behavior. We can announce it availability prominently, and sometime after we could discuss whether that mode should be on by default. If we do, people who prefer the old way could easily disable it then, that's also a plus.