Re: Changes for emacs 28

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Changes for emacs 28
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2020 18:20:40 +0300

> From: Stefan Kangas <stefankangas@gmail.com>
> Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2020 07:35:37 -0700
> Cc: spacibba@aol.com, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Would it make sense to re-evaluate Xah Lee's suggestions about menu?
> > http://ergoemacs.org/emacs/modernization_menu.html
>
> These proposals look relevant to me, I think we should examine them in
> more detail.

Beware: they are outdated (more than 10 years old, and many items in
our menus were changed since then).  More importantly, Xah is known
to be violently anti-FSF/GNU, and even anti-RMS, let alone full of NIH
tendencies.  His recommendations are rarely provided with any
rationale except "the current situation is silly/stupid", and should
therefore be taken with a grain of salt.

That said, it is of course okay to consider the ideas that make sense,
but not just "because Xah said so".

> Could you submit that as a new bug report?

Separate bug reports for each item or a group of related items,
please.  Let's not have one bug report about dozens of menu items
unrelated to each other.