Re: A new user perspective about "Changes for emacs 28"

From: tomas
Subject: Re: A new user perspective about "Changes for emacs 28"
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2020 12:36:25 +0200

On Wed, Sep 09, 2020 at 12:00:19PM +0200, Ergus wrote:

[..]

> I think that there is so much fragmentation in the user community
> because we don't have anything "official" more dynamic and modern (or
> familiar) than the mailing list.

Yes, I see that. I try to ignore the little value judgement subliminally
packed in "modern" :-)

It'll be as difficult to "move" the mailing list people to...

> I mean something equivalent to gitter/trello/github's issues/slack
> channel. So the users create/find their own alternatives and this ends
> in many sub communities.

...gitter/trello/github (or reddit) as it'll be the other way around.
After all some stick to mail for good reasons (as some love github
for some other good reasons)...

> The closest is the reddit channel where Eli interacts frequently. But of
> course there is not any link to that in the emacs site, the readme or
> anywhere.

...so I think we'll have to live in a somewhat diverse landscape and
find ways around there.

"Multilingual" people (as you are, but also Eli) are an important part
of this, I think.

Cheers
 - t