Re: Changes for emacs 28

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: Changes for emacs 28
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2020 15:30:05 +0000

> Beside this, we could create a kind of hierarchical configuration
> system, where the hierarchy is not (like is the case in Custom) based
> only on functionality, but rather on "popularity/importance/frequency".

It would also be good to be able to be able to present options in a
logical and predetermined order in custom instead of the current
alphabetical order.  Could custom be extended to handle that?  Maybe we
could add a :weight property to defcustom?

> We already have a bit of that with the few options which are placed
> directly in the `Options` menu.  We could offer a menu entry "Settings"
> which shows the "most commonly" requested settings (in a buffer rather
> than in a submenu).

Agreed, excellent idea.

> Agreed.  Maybe we should start small and try to create a few simple
> custom-themes like `emacs24`, `emacs19`, `dark-background`, `Vim`, ...
>
> And ideally someone should try and see what breaks down when we try and
> create a theme that mimicks Prelude or Starter Kit, and then work
> towards lifting those restrictions.

Agreed.  (Although I'm looking for the 'emacs29' theme myself.)