Re: Changes for emacs 28

From: Yuan Fu
Subject: Re: Changes for emacs 28
Date: Sun, 6 Sep 2020 14:22:26 -0400

> I just mentioned some default changes that will not require almost any
> extra implementation and functionalities that have already been there
> for many years. I am just thinking in the first impression for new
> users...
>
> The reaction has been as expected but I needed to mention them just to
> see which ones could or couldn't be at least considered. So I don't
> waste time with the others.
>
> Sorry but I can't understand why "old" users, that can write lisp lines
> easily to their configs, can't understand that for new users (and
> younger ones) those lines sometimes takes hours or days (mainly because
> they don't know what/where/how to look for, and lisp is not so
> popular or familiar these days). And that the first impression when they
> open emacs is like going back to 1998.
> I know that ideally the users should read the documentation, learn lisp,
> pass the tutorial and so on... but in real live if the first impression
> is not good we just scare away them before they discover the power of
> emacs. Mainly because there are many alternatives easier to start with.
>
> It is just my opinion.
> I won't insist on this anymore.
>
> Best,
> Ergus.

AFAICT, those changes wouldn’t have enough support (if any) here. Instead, what
about compiling a separate Emacs that has all these “good modern
features/options” enabled? We can even go further and compile a shiny and truly
out-of-the-box Emacs. The problem is, of course, people with the skill don’t
care about this, and people need/want this don’t have the skill.

Yuan