Re: Modernize frame-title-format: "%b - GNU Emacs"

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: Modernize frame-title-format: "%b - GNU Emacs"
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2020 01:26:27 -0400

   >    You are the first person to say that `invocation-name' is important to
   >    keep.  Would like to expand on the use-case you have in mind, and why
   >    you think it is important to keep as the default?
   >
   > I can think of one situation, when running multiple emacs:en of
   > different version.  E.g, development versions or when you wish to run
   > an older or newer version.

   1. `invocation-name' doesn't tell you anything about
   the Emacs version, AFAICT.

Since emacs is normally installed using a version name as well, it can
tell you that.

   2. As Eli would presumably point out [*], users who
   have installed multiple Emacs versions are uncommon,
   and those of them who run more than one version at
   the same time are even more uncommon.  (I'm one of
   them, FWIW.)

Debian installs Emacs as emacs-version, and often also emacs-snapshot
for a later one.  It is also common to have a X11, non-X11, GTK, etc
versions.

If installing multiple Emacs versions is uncommon, why is it the
default way that Emacs gets installed and has been installed since
time begun?