Re: Modernize frame-title-format: "%b - GNU Emacs"

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: Modernize frame-title-format: "%b - GNU Emacs"
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2020 16:59:39 -0700

Stefan Kangas <stefan@marxist.se> writes:

> Lars Ljung proposed to change frame-title-format to something more
> modern and similar to Firefox, gvim, Gimp, LibreOffice, etc.:
> https://debbugs.gnu.org/41147
>
> We currently have:
>
>     (setq frame-title-format
>           '(multiple-frames "%b"
>                             ("" invocation-name "@" system-name)))

First, thank you to everyone who has contributed to the discussion so far.
I have followed the discussion closely, and thought about this some more
to come up with a realistic proposal.

The discussion has revealed that it is important for some reasonably
common use-cases to keep `system-name', but that there is less need for
`invocation-name'.

I therefore suggest:

  (setq frame-title-format
        '(multiple-frames "%B"
                          ("" "%B - GNU Emacs at " system-name))

The main new feature is that we will show the current buffer or file
name in the frame title, even when there is only one frame.

The new "%B" specifier, added by me here, is equivalent to:

  (if buffer-file-name
      (abbreviate-file-name buffer-file-name)
    buffer-name))

The proposal is an incremental improvement, which could be the basis of
further work (such as adding "*" if the file is modified, etc.).

Please find attached a proposed patch; thanks in advance for any reviews
or comments.

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas