RE: Modernize frame-title-format: "%b - GNU Emacs"

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: RE: Modernize frame-title-format: "%b - GNU Emacs"
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2020 18:20:03 -0700

Gregory Heytings via "Emacs development discussions."
<emacs-devel@gnu.org> writes:

> This thread is perhaps already too long, but here are two proposals:
>
> Proposal 1:
>
> "~/.emacs - GNU Emacs 27 on foobar" (unmodified buffer)
> "~/.emacs * GNU Emacs 27 on foobar" (modified buffer)
>
> (setq frame-title-format
>    '((:eval (if buffer-file-truename buffer-file-truename "%b"))
>    " %& "
>    (:eval (format "GNU Emacs %d on %s" emacs-major-version system-name))))
>
> Proposal 2:
>
> "~/.emacs - ELisp/d - GNU Emacs 27 on foobar" (unmodified buffer)
> "~/.emacs * ELisp/d * GNU Emacs 27 on foobar" (modified buffer)
>
> (setq frame-title-format
>    '((:eval (if buffer-file-truename buffer-file-truename "%b"))
>    " %& " mode-name " %& "
>    (:eval (format "GNU Emacs %d on %s" emacs-major-version system-name))))

Thank you, this is useful.  I would like to retract my original proposal
in favor of your "Proposal 1", with or without a marker.

To sum up the thread so far, people have clearly been unhappy with the
idea to remove the host name.  I think we should listen.

There has also been discussions about proposals to add even more
information, which I have followed closely.  I think some of the ideas
have been interesting, but ultimately risks being a bit too opinionated
and/or verbose to be suitable for the default case.

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas