Re: Modernize frame-title-format: "%b - GNU Emacs"

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: Modernize frame-title-format: "%b - GNU Emacs"
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2020 13:56:54 +0700

On Thu, 27 Aug 2020 at 12:55, Stefan Kangas <stefan@marxist.se> wrote:

> >>     (setq frame-title-format "%b - GNU Emacs")
> >
> > I do that in my config, except that I use an en dash as the separator:
> > "%b – Emacs"; and I also display a • if the buffer is modified and
> > visiting a file.
>
> Why do you use en dash?  Does Firefox, etc. use en dash, or is it simply
> your own local customization?

I do that because that is typographically correct. Other programs use
a hyphen for historical reasons and if they all nod at each other for
consistency then we will not have any way forward.

> Regarding the "•" for modified files, I have seen some programs add such
> a marker (more often "*", IME).  But I checked LibreOffice and it does
> not do that.  I think it would be useful to check if there are any other
> text editors that use such a marker.

Yes, asterisk is often used as an unsaved file marker. Mousepad
(default text editor for XFCE) does display it, and so does GIMP.