Re: Emacs 27.1 Windows Binaries -- testing wanted

From: phillip . lord
Subject: Re: Emacs 27.1 Windows Binaries -- testing wanted
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2020 18:28:25 +0100

Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2020 16:13:52 +0100
From: phillip.lord@russet.org.uk
Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org

> Skipping a test and failing a test is not the same.  You are looking
> for failures: tests that should have succeeded, but didn't.

Indeed not. But, skipping a test because something is not compiled in is
wrong iff the feature is supposed to be compiled in. Running "make
check" on my windows build machine will only pick up errors with json
parsing if libjansson was installed.

That's a separate problem.  If you want to be able to detect it as
well, you'd probably need a separate test for features that appear in
system-configuration-features.

I still think that the windows binary distribution is unnecessarily
complicated, based on the msys2 dependencies as given.

I agree, but if you want to depend on MSYS2 dependency tracking,
that's part of the price, no?

Yes. And I am happy to experiment with alternatives. But I want something to be able to test the binary distributions that the alternatives would produce.

So where are we up to? w32-features.el? In lisp/ or etc/

Phil