Re: Emacs 27.1 Windows Binaries -- testing wanted

From: phillip . lord
Subject: Re: Emacs 27.1 Windows Binaries -- testing wanted
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2020 22:37:12 +0100

Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2020 20:16:41 +0100
From: phillip.lord@russet.org.uk

As a starter for 10

Who or what is "10"?

Sorry, British idiom. It means much the same as "strawman".

this is a file that tests features. The idea would
be to include it in the main (not test) lisp hierarchy, probably with a
single autoloaded command "feature-test" or something which would run
ert with an appropriate selector. This would make it available for use
in any Emacs distribution without having to include any files only found
in the repo.

Obviously more features to go. I haven't worked out how to test the
existence of harfbuzz yet.

  (car (frame-parameter nil 'font-backend))

I guess I need to test everything with a
"--without-" configuration option that is relevant on windows.

Thoughts? Installable to emacs-27? As EMACS/lisp/feature.el?

I don't understand why this has to be ert tests.  Why not just a
simple function that performs a series of tests and produces a report
about each test?

It doesn't have to be ert tests, but ert is designed to perform a series of tests and produce a report about each test, so it makes sense.

Also, shouldn't it be in admin/nt?  It's w32-specific, right?  What is
the rationale for having it in lisp/ ?

Because I want to be able to unpack a windows distribution and run the function. admin isn't included in the distribution (as far as I can tell), just the repository. I can do this by hand, but then it's easier to make mistakes. I'd like to be able to start Emacs, run M-x feature-test, and if everything passes all is good.

If this offends your sense of cleanliness, which I'd understand, it could equally go in `data-directory'.

Phil