Re: Making GNUS continue to work with Gmail

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Making GNUS continue to work with Gmail
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2020 23:38:08 -0400

  > Well, this is what happened for Kmail, Thunderbird and others.  The person
  > who applies to have an app approved by Google becomes legally responsible
  > of the use of the OAuth credentials received at the end of the process.
  > In the case of an app that is used by many people around the world, this
  > should be a legal person, not an individual.

I don't follow that.  "Should" stands for a moral imperative, but I don't
see where the imperative would come from here.  Perhaps you're basing
the conclusion on reasons I don't know about.

  > Yes, if they agree to take the legal responsibility of the use of these
  > credentials, and if they pay if Google wants to have the code of the
  > program reviewed by security experts.

I am completely lost here.  What legal responsibility is involved?

I've asked for someone to please tell me, in brief terms, the concrete
reqwuirements for issuing an app key to something like GNUS, but I have not
seen a reply stating them.

People have sent me URLs pointing at what I suspect are long texts,
some of which might answer this question.  The obvious way for me to
find out those answers is to go read those.  Obvious, but not
feasible.  I am totally overloaded, and (unusually) I even have
deadlines.  I can't do that the inefficient way.

--
Dr Richard Stallman