Re: vertical fido-mode

From: Ergus
Subject: Re: vertical fido-mode
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2020 14:17:55 +0200

On Thu, Jun 11, 2020 at 02:08:56AM +0300, Juri Linkov wrote:

Or show vertical completions in the *Completions* buffer and use the
current icomplete keys to navigate the *Completions* list from the minibuffer.

Hi!

Coming back to this thread, I just made this very simple patch
(attached) to provide a sort of "zsh" like experience in the
*Completion* buffer.

I would love to see a version of this enabled by default in emacs (to
feel we are a bit in 2020 and give a more friendly first impression to
new users); but I know that changing defaults will start a war. So I
won't even try to argue about that; so I added variables to customize
everything.

If you are interested, you can try it and I will be very happy with any
suggestions and critics if you thing this can be added to master in the
future.

It basically adds:

1) enforces navigation throw completion candidates (no go to header or
random useless places in *completion* buffer).

2) Current candidate highlight with the 'highlight face.

3) Second tab in minibuffer with completion shown and all candidates
visible (no need scroll) jump to *Completions* buffer (similar to zsh).

4) Skip Completion buffer with C-g.

The intentions of this is just to tweak a little the *Completions*
interaction keeping everything extremely simple.

At the end after a couple of hours most of the users go for Ido, help or
Ivy. But this doesn't mean we shouldn't improve the first impression
right?

OTOH: I would like to know if Omar finally got the copyright otherwise I
will try to implement the vertical-fido/Icompletes mode.

Best,
Ergus