Re: Compilation speed

From: tomas
Subject: Re: Compilation speed
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2020 11:43:05 +0200

On Wed, Aug 19, 2020 at 11:25:37AM +0200, Mario Lang wrote:
> Paul Eggert <eggert@cs.ucla.edu> writes:
>
> > On 8/6/20 8:20 AM, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
> >
> >> And then ./configure takes 19 seconds, and that's fully single-threaded,
> >> I believe?  And...  I'm guessing there's no way to get that to be
> >> multi-threaded?

[...]

> The "speed" of autoconf is probably the reason why its adoption rate is
> falling.  I remember insisting on using autoconf for many years, just
> because.  Until I figured out CMake 3.x.  I will never write an autoconf
> script again, never.

I used to consider CMake as "just another build system, why not". Until
I saw its cross-compilation story. Since then, I appreciate autoconf
even more.

Speed (more precisely: parallelizability) isn't that important to me.
Usually I've got other nice things to do while Emacs compiles (i.e.
I schedule such jobs) -- although I do understand that other peoples's
workflows are different.

Cheers
 - t