Re: Emacs 27.1 Windows Binaries -- testing wanted

From: phillip . lord
Subject: Re: Emacs 27.1 Windows Binaries -- testing wanted
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2020 18:20:17 +0100

From: Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2020 17:57:05 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> For images, verify that (image-type-available-p 'TYPE) returns non-nil
> for all the supported TYPEs.  For other optional features, similar
> functions generally exist that can be probed; let me know if you need
> more detailed advice.

A function that checks and shows the availability of every possible
optional feature would be handy.

Many of them already have such a function.  Some need alternative
testing methods.

Yes, but I'm talking about a unique function that displays the
availability of all optional features, so the user can see at a glance
what is available (and what is missing) on his install.

I need something that just displays a little report. It could show the presence of features (image formats), and things like font rendering engine, whether native-comp is active (for when this hits masters). Also be nice to know if Emacs things it is a snapshot, or release, whether the binary is stripped or not, what optimization levels have been used.

All of these things have been a problem at one time or another or might be in future, and the build for release happens rarely enough, with small changes from one release to the next (for example, this time you updated the version number before I did the build which broke my scripts assumptions just a little), that I have to do small tweaks my hand. Then I have no ability to check I have not screwed up.

As you say, mostly useful for w32, as it's the only binary Gnu provides. Might be useful for other people doing binaries packages for other OS maybe.

I will try and write something.

Phil